Monday 19 September 2011

Day 50 - heresy

So, I have been doing some thinking about this whole PCP thing.  Especially because (a) there's a new group who've started, and (b) because I'm pretty amazed how much weight I've lost/changed shape.

Anyway, what I'm going to say is probably pretty heretical, but here goes anyway.  I'm a foodie.  I love food - and eating out.  Naz and I spend a LOT of our time thinking about and buying food, cooking and going out to fabulous restaurants.  I also collect wine.  And drink a lot of it.  But all that's changed on PCP!  The funny thing is I've come to a couple of conclusions.  The first is that I feel great having lost weight and I look pretty different too.  And that's good!  However, would I give up my foodie lifestyle and drinking to keep this way?  No way!  The thing is, MODERATION!  It's no good eating and eating and eating and weighing a ton - or drinking yourself to death - but good food and good wine is the essence of life in some ways.

Anyway, I appreciate that this is a bit of a ramble - I'm really enjoying PCP and I'm keeping strong - loving the exercise and my new muscles, loving even the skipping now - and the food is no problem.  BUT, when I'm finished I'm looking forward to sharing a bottle of Lafite with Naz, cooking up some pretty epic comfort food - Lasagna anyone, Boeuf Bourgignon!? and really really really enjoying it.  My children have just sat and ate some chicken with wine, bacon and mushrooms I cooked a while back - my God it smelt good....and you just don't get that with a piece of steamed fish.  So there!

So for anyone new to PCP who's wondering what they've let themselves in for - I'd say keep strong, and think of it as training - as Patrick says - and let yourself be institutionalised for three months.  It's like school dinners.  But when it's over.....I for one will be getting stuck in.  Not to put on weight - and I'll definitely keep up the exercises - but to get back to enjoying something I absolutely love.

Rant over.  40 days to go!!

3 comments:

  1. hah! I know what you mean Simon, I've got my first bottle of post PCP red wine lined up and ready to go too. Lunch on Sunday 31st October is going to a joyous ocassion. In the meantime, stay strong buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. institutionalized?? what have i let myself in for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice tri time! I did the half in London a few years ago and found swimming in the thames heinous.

    ReplyDelete